Volunteer & Extra-curricular

Elementary Classroom

Volunteering in a grade 3 classroom made me realize how much I enjoy being in the classroom and working with students in the school setting. I was able to experience different subjects and activities being taught in the classroom, which gave me a great introduction idea of what teaching would be like. I also was able to observe some great classroom management techniques and experience what happens in an everyday classroom. A special experience I had with this grade 3 class was going on a field trip to the school district farm, which was a valuable opportunity to see how to manage and teach a class outside of the traditional classroom environment.

Soccer

Coaching soccer gave me a great opportunity to work with many different kinds of kids of a wide age range. I was able to gain experience working with small and large groups of kids with a variety of skills and abilities. Throughout my coaching experience, I developed the skill of adapting my drills and instruction techniques to different abilities and needs. Once I got into the teaching program I realized that this skill was differentiated instruction, and that it is very important to incorporate in teaching. In addition to working with other coaches, I have also been in leadership positions where I need to organize the players and other coaches. 

Rotary and Rotaract

After going on a Rotary Youth Exchange, I wanted to give back to the program that gave me such an amazing opportunity. I have been volunteering with different Rotary programs since 2018. Starting a Rotaract club tested my leadership abilities and taught me how to organize projects and groups. The program I have had the most involvement with is the Rotary Youth Exchange program in the district. I have led discussion groups for outgoing and incoming students, as well as organizing a weekend retreat for returning students and helping on the interview panel for students applying for the program.