Certificates, Awards & Scholarships

BC Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship

The BC Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship was a meaningful award for me because I did not think I would get it. I still remember receiving the email from the scholarship committee and the overwhelming emotions when I read it. This scholarship is competitive, and winning it made me feel even more confident in my decision and abilities to go into teaching. I was one of 20 recipients from applicants across the province that stood out that year to two different review committees made up of BC teachers. Knowing I had this award made me determined to continue to work hard and reach my goal of getting accepted into the Bachelor of Education program.

Rotary Youth Exchange Scholarship

Going on a Rotary Youth Exchange was life changing in many ways. I knew I always wanted to study abroad at some point but this scholarship helped me accomplish more than I thought I would during that experience. An unexpected benefit from my year abroad was that I had more time to research schools and programs I wanted to do once I graduated. This is when I saw the TRU program and had my mind set to attend this school at some point. Even though my exchange was only one school year, I have continued to receive beneficial experiences through the connections I have made through the program and Rotary.

Soccer For Life Certification 

I had coached for a few years before taking my Soccer For Life certification to coach up to U18. One completing the certification program and on field training, it made me realize that there are a lot of benefits and skills that would have helped me from the beginning if I had taken that course sooner. Since taking the course, I recommended it to many of my teammates who were thinking of getting into coaching, even if it was just recreational to start. I see this similar to teaching, where I recognize that a lot of learning happens when you are in the classroom but getting schooling and going through the certification process also have valuable learning opportunities.